Augmented ST-Segment Elevation during Recovery from Exercise Predicts Cardiac Events in Patients with Brugada Syndrome

Hisaki Makimoto, Eiichiro Nakagawa, Hiroshi Takaki, Yuko Yamada, Hideo Okamura, Takashi Noda, Kazuhiro Satomi, Kazuhiro Suyama, Naohiko Aihara, Takashi Kurita, Shiro Kamakura, Wataru Shimizu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objectives: The goal of this study was to evaluate the prevalence and the clinical significance of ST-segment elevation during recovery from exercise testing. Background: During recovery from exercise testing, ST-segment elevation is reported in some patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS). Methods: Treadmill exercise testing was conducted for 93 patients (91 men), 46 ± 14 years of age, with BrS (22 documented ventricular fibrillation, 35 syncope alone, and 36 asymptomatic); and for 102 healthy control subjects (97 men), 46 ± 17 years of age. Patients were routinely followed up. The clinical end point was defined as the occurrence of sudden cardiac death, ventricular fibrillation, or sustained ventricular tachyarrhythmia. Results: Augmentation of ST-segment elevation β0.05 mV in V(1) to V(3) leads compared with baseline was observed at early recovery (1 to 4 min at recovery) in 34 BrS patients (37% [group 1]), but was not observed in the remaining 59 BrS patients (63% [group 2]) or in the 102 control subjects. During 76 ± 38 months of follow-up, ventricular fibrillation occurred more frequently in group 1 (15 of 34, 44%) than in group 2 (10 of 59, 17%; p = 0.004). Multivariate Cox regression analysis showed that in addition to previous episodes of ventricular fibrillation (p = 0.005), augmentation of ST-segment elevation at early recovery was a significant and independent predictor for cardiac events (p = 0.007), especially among patients with history of syncope alone (6 of 12 [50%] in group 1 vs. 3 of 23 [13%] in group 2) and among asymptomatic patients (3 of 15 [20%] in group 1 vs. 0 of 21 [0%] in group 2). Conclusions: Augmentation of ST-segment elevation during recovery from exercise testing was specific in patients with BrS, and can be a predictor of poor prognosis, especially for patients with syncope alone and for asymptomatic patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)186
Number of pages1
JournalJournal of Arrhythmia
Volume27
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2011

Keywords

  • Brugada syndrome

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Augmented ST-Segment Elevation during Recovery from Exercise Predicts Cardiac Events in Patients with Brugada Syndrome'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this