OBJECTIVES: Preoperative identification of the artery of Adamkiewicz can help prevent postoperative spinal cord injury in patients undergoing thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Although several studies have shown the feasibility of evaluating the artery of Adamkiewicz using multidetector row computed tomography (MDCT), no detailed investigations regarding the collateral circulation to the artery of Adamkiewicz have been performed. The purpose of this study was to investigate the collateral circulation to the artery of Adamkiewicz using MDCT in patients with thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms. METHODS: Our institutional review board approved this study. Sixty-four patients with descending thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms associated with the occlusion of the segmental artery from which the artery of Adamkiewicz originated were scanned using 64-or 320-detector row computed tomography. Two independent observers evaluated the MDCT images based on the degree of visualization of the artery of Adamkiewicz and its collateral circulation using a 4-point scale. RESULTS: The average visualization score was 2.8 ± 0.6. In 53 of the 64 (83%) patients, image quality was judged to be diagnostic. MDCT demonstrated 75 collateral pathways to the artery of Adamkiewicz in these 53 patients. Sixty-four of the 75 (85%) pathways were collaterals around the spinal column, and the remaining 11 (15%) pathways were collateral arteries in the thoracic wall. CONCLUSIONS: MDCT revealed the collateral pathways to the artery of Adamkiewicz around the spinal column and in the thoracic wall in 83% of our patients with thoracic and thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms.
|ジャーナル||European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery|
|出版ステータス||Published - 2018 7月 1|
ASJC Scopus subject areas